Saturday, October 28, 2006

Natchez Trace State Park, Lexington, Tennesee

We highly recommend Natchez Trace State Park (especially for RVers) located off I-40 in western TN, halfway between Nashville and Memphis. It's a state park with full hook-ups, open, spacious sites (good for satellite TV reception), on a lake with fishing, close to a town with a Super WalMart, all for $17.50 a night. Here's Ed relaxing by the campfire with Duncan, Roxie, and Bonnie.



...and the view from our site.


I'd never so much as held a fishing pole in my whole life, but Ed taught me to cast and I caught my first fish, a little blue gill. But I didn't bait the hook and I made Ed take him off the hook and throw him back. Some fisherwoman, huh?


I'd heard of kudzu, the "mile-a-minute vine", but I'd never seen it before. This vine was imported from Asia and planted to control soil erosion. It clings to trees and cuts off oxygen, eventually killing it's host. Kudzu can actually grow about 10 feet in 24 hours. Unfortunately, it has no natural enemies and is fire and pesticide resistant. Kudzu is probably here to stay in the south.

No comments: